Saturday, September 13, 2008

Slow-Cooker Enchiladas

Another favorite of my husband, this recipe can be thrown together the night before and refrigerated, then cooked in the crock pot all day while you are at work, church, or just going about your business.

Sometimes we use the meat and bean mixture as taco or burrito filling instead of making the slow-cooker enchilada. It's very good and very filling, not to mention more economical than just using meat! (If I mention that it's more nutritious because it has beans and vegetables then my family probably won't eat it... so I won't say that). I also use the blend of seasonings in this recipe for other tex-mex dishes (like my Meatless Mexican Lasagna).

I believe the original recipe came from Taste of Home magazine, but it's been so many years since I copied the recipe down that I'm not certain anymore. I all know is that it's a good one!

Slow-Cooker Enchiladas

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
(I hate chopping onions so I substitute 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion)
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (I puree mine in the blender to please picky eaters)
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
(I prefer medium, but use what your family likes best)
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
6 flour tortillas
(6 or 7 inches)

In a skillet, cook beef and onions until beef is browned and onions are tender; drain. Add beans, tomatoes, water, and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Combine cheeses. In a 5 qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla, and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. Enjoy!

No comments: