Saturday, September 6, 2008

Meatless Mexican Lasagna

This one's for you, Amy! I adapted this recipe from a similar one I found in Taste of Home magazine. My husband, a meat-and-potatoes guy, loves this recipe and I love the fact that it is very adaptable. Sometimes I use the seasoning combo from my recipe for Slow-Cooker Enchiladas (I'll try to post that one next), and sometimes I cheat and use taco seasoning mix. You can also add more or less corn or other veggies as you like. As I said... very adaptable.

Here's the way I make it:

Meatless Mexican Lasagna

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans (dark red or light red... whatever), rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (my husband doesn't like tomatoes, so I puree mine)
1 cup frozen corn
~1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (adjust according to your taste preference; you can also substitute chili powder, onion, garlic, and cumin if you want to get fancy or don't like the mix)
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar, monterey jack, or colby cheese (more or less, depending on how cheesy you like it)

Mix together everything except tortillas and cheese.

Grease an 8" or 9" square pan; line bottom of pan with four tortillas. Spread half of bean mixture over tortillas, top with remaining tortillas, followed by remaining bean mixture. (If you have room you can do another layer of tortillas, but by this point my pan is usually full). Top with cheese.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. (If cheese browns too fast, cover your pan with foil). Enjoy. (How easy is that?)

If you have a larger family to feed, double the ingredients and make it in a 9"x13" or lasagna pan and add about 10 minutes to the cooking time.

Let me know if you like it, please!

1 comment:

Landra Lynn said...

This looks like a great recipe that my hubby will actually eat. Thanks!

We are hosting a "cookie sale" to help support a family that has four small children (all under age six) and two parents who were critically injured in a small plane accident. (More on the Nielsen family at http://cjanerun.com)

If you would like to help, feel free to visit http://xomissl2.blogspot.com

Thanks!!